I love word counts. I love to quantify my progress. For the past several years, the only time a word count has worked for me is during November. Even then, I get annoyed with the lack editing when I spew out 35,000 words. I know intellectually that progress isn’t just a number, but man, it’s rough to find satisfaction in the indefinite. Therefore, a list:
- Eric’s in the midst of the end-of-the-semester crunch. He read my Zeta Iota changes. There are new concepts to be added and tweaked. I need to make daily progress on that. We heard from Chris last week. He probably won’t be back in the States until July (late June, early July?). Since we’d like to see him, Eric’s trip to Omaha will be moved up to early June. It would be nice to have the ball really rolling on Zeta Iota by then.
- Sent Model Species to another three agents. Okay, two. The third needs to be sent by mail. For the record, it’s had five rejections. Okay, probably six since there’s one agent I queried that doesn’t answer unless she’s interested (most annoying policy EVER).
- I’m continuing to post chapters of Pas de Chat. I wish I had a little more feedback on it, but I’ll just trust that someone out there is reading it. It would probably help if I were more consistent with promoting it on Twitter. I forget to hashtag…
- I want to get back in the habit of free writing. My goal with that is to produce a some #fridayflash pieces. We’ll see how that goes.
- Tertiary projects: I should edit the Eden story and send it out. Also, I tend to be writing a bit of fairy-tale-urban-fantasy in my flash projects. Maybe there something to be done with that.
Hmm, interesting where the month of April took me. I have more fiction online for public consumption than I ever have. Whether it’s good or bad thing remains to be seen. Whether it counts as real work is in question too. (It probably doesn’t.) I shall continue to slog onward.