I’ve been in a certain mood lately. It started sometime last week after a few days tolerable Arizona summer temperatures and a fairly impressive, if brief, nighttime thunderstorm. The three episode Dexter marathon. AddingThe Italian Secretary and 77 Shadow Street to my TBR list. Rewatching Sherlock and dusting off my Conan Doyle anthology. Or maybe it stretches back to earlier in the month when I bought Lunar Park, or to my very nature. Whatever the case, I’m in the mood for horror and mystery. Enter R.I.P. VII.
R.eaders I.mbibing P.eril is a reading event hosted by Stainless Steel Droppings, lasting from September 1st to October 31st and focusing on mystery, horror, gothic, thrillers, the supernatural and all manner of things that go bump in the night.
I’ll be participating at a couple of levels:
Read four books that fit R.I.P. My reading pool:
- 77 Shadow Street by Dean Koontz
- The Italian Secretary by Caleb Carr
- Lunar Park by Bret Easton Ellis
- Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist
- Courtney Crumrin, Volume 1 by Ted Naifeh
- Hannibal Rising by Thomas Harris
- The Descent by Jeff Long
- Sherlock Holmes, various stories
- Much of Shadow Show and associated Ray Bradbury tales probably apply.
- Two and Twenty Dark Tales edited by Georgia McBride & Michelle Zink
- Not ruling out Poe
There’s Dexter to watch and Sherlock to pine for. Eventually American Horror Story will return (though I’m not sure it will during the span of this event). I even want to catch Elementary when it premiers because, well, Sherlock Holmes is Sherlock Holmes. Speaking of which, there’s Murder Rooms as well. Good stuff all around.