Katrina at Callapidder Days is once again hosting Fall Into Reading – a totally low-stress reading challenge that takes place between September 22nd and December 21st. The only requirement is:
- Create a list of books you’d like to read or finish this fall.
I’ve got a couple other reading events going on in September and October—R.I.P. VII (Sept & Oct), FrightFall Readathon (Oct. 1-7), Dewey’s 24-hour Readathon (Oct. 13th)— so some of these books will be doing double duty.
Galleys (with publication dates):
- Shelf Life: Fantastic Stories Celebrating Bookstores, edited by Greg Ketter (Oct. 3) – Pg. 71/306 Finished
- Two and Twenty Dark Tales, Georgia McBride (editor), Michelle Zink (editor) This book’s format (in the eGalley) put me off.
- Shoggoths in Bloom by Elizabeth Bear (Oct. 31) – Was archived before I could get to it.
- What We Saw At Night by Jacquelyn Mitchard (Jan. 8)
- Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist – Pg. 67/472 Finished
- Dark Waters by Koji Suzuki Finished
- The Italian Secretary: A Further Adventure of Sherlock Holmes
by Caleb Carr – Pg. 14/266
Research for next novel (all of which could count for R.I.P. too):
- Behind the Scenes With the Mediums by David P. Abbott
- The Right Way to Do Wrong by Harry Houdini – pg. 15/96 Finished
- Hiding the Elephant : How Magicians Invented the Impossible and Learned to Disappear by Jim Steinmeyer
Plus, keeping up with my weeklies: a short story, a poem, a section of Poetic Edda, and keeping up with Tor’s Fire & Ice read-along.
This list of books is greater then my reading speed, but lists are more of a general guideline than an actual reading list. And undoubtedly, I’m going to get distracted by some other shiny book* that happens along. (And maybe if I finish rewrites on Luck for Hire by the end of October, I might start work on the next novel for NaNoWriMo. Which would cut into my reading time. But that’s just crazy talk…)
But, yay! It’s fall! (Even if it is 101+F outside.) Enjoy it while it lasts!
Other Shiny Books
- The Last Greatest Magician in the World: Howard Thurston versus Houdini & the Battles of the American Wizards by Jim Steinmeyer – added on 9/24 – a shiny book that happened to be available through the library online.
- Carter Beats the Devil by Glen David Gold – added on 9/25 – loaned to me by Ken after he saw my post on the Jim Steinmeyer book.
- Every House is Haunted by Ian Rogers – I have a chance to read the ARC of this book; publication date is Oct. 15th. Finished