Finished up a block of research for One Ahead. I solidified some family details and now I’ve been going through PDFs of The Omaha World-Herald for color details. Also finished reading Abbott’s Behind the Scenes with the Mediums and a few other articles he had published during his lifetime. Actually, started to feel somewhat depressed toward the end of this research block. All these people I’m reading about, that I’m becoming invested in, are all real people and they’re all dead.
Made progress on the 2nd draft.
# of submissions for Luck for Hire: 8
# of responses: 8 (two were “assumed” rejections from agents who do not respond if not interested)
Other Life Stuff
If February was busy, March was the opposite. And not unhappily so. March felt like a recovery month.
I’ve been trying to get some extra exercise in addition to playing disc twice a week. I think I managed to hit the community center every week this month. I’ve been doing intervals of the rowing machine. Seems to be doing okay for my knees and my hands have been putting up with it. Now, if I would just quite snacking…
Still, there’s about one day a week when I feel really crummy. I’ve been trying to curtail my alcohol and caffeine intake after a certain time at night in order to sleep better. I’m not sure it’s helping, but I need to stick with it longer.
- A Dirty, Wicked Town: Tales of 19th Century Omaha by David L. Bristow
- Take Me Home From the Oscars by Christine Schwab
- Hype & Glory by William Goldman
- The Magician by Sol Stein
- The Last Greatest Magician in the World by Jim Steinmeyer (from the Take Control RAT raffle, thanks Kimba!)
Other Stuff Read
Finally got around to reading some of the Nebula nominated short stories. A good crop thus far. I’ll have a run down of them later. There are some great stories by Neil Gaiman, Rachel Swirsky, and Kij Johnson out there on the web too. Check ’em out.
Other Books I Want to Read
- Grand Deception The World’s Most Spectacular and Successful Hoaxes, Impostures, Ruses, and Frauds by Alexander Klein
- Eyeing the Flash: The Making of a Carnival Con Artist by Peter Fenton
At the Greater Phoenix Digital Library:
- The Inventor and the Tycoon: A Gilded Age Murder and the Birth of Moving Pictures by Edward Ball
- Magic: The Complete Course by Joshua Jay
- Houdini’s Paper Magic: The Whole Art of Paper Tricks, Including Paper Folding, Paper Tearing, and Paper Puzzles by Harry Houdini
- Mockingbird by Chuck Wendig
- Charlotte Markham and the House of Darkling by Michael Boccacino
- Bad Glass by Richard E. Gropp
- Poe’s Children, The New Horror: An Anthology edited by Peter Straub
- The Prince of Mist by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
- Fear of Flying by Erica Jong