May did not reap the kick-ass 2nd draft word count that I hoped for. I did add a character, change a character, organize, and now have a (slightly) better idea where I’m going. Read Jim Steinmeyer’s Hiding the Elephant which has given me my best grasp on magic yet.
Query-wise, I kind of took May off. Some of the initial rejections for Luck for Hire were on the more personal side, but lately they’ve been depressing form letters. I just needed to take a break for a couple weeks. I’ll get back to it in June.
# of submissions for Luck for Hire: 3
# of responses: 0
# of submissions for Model Species: 0
# of responses: 2
Other Life Stuff
Kind of a down month for me. Got a lot of reading done during Bout of Books. Looking forward to Wicked Wildfire Readathon starting on Friday. I wasn’t going to do it, but… Who am I kidding? I totally was.
Women’s league started and I’ve been enjoying it more than I have in the past. That could be because, aside from a couple days two weeks ago, I’ve been feeling good physically. I’ve gone back to tracking my calories, this time using MyFitnessPal. I’d like to get back to comfortably wearing more than one pair of my jeans by September. What I really need is to get three days of good exercise in per week without killing my body. I’m going to try going to the pool this week.
- David Copperfield’s Beyond Imagination, edited by David Copperfield
- David Copperfield’s Tales of the Impossible, edited by David Copperfield
- The Spirit Cabinet by Paul Quarrington
- Penn and Teller’s How to Play with Your Food by Penn Jillette & Teller
After doing a bit of Goodreads math, I realized that I own 435 books that I have not read. I need to keep the Obtained list shorter. It probably doesn’t help that I keep picking up ARCs from NetGalley.
Other Books I Want to Read
Added to Goodreads:
- Men, Women, and Chain Saws: Gender in Modern Horror Film by Carol J. Clover
- Learned Pigs and Fireproof Women by Ricky Jay
- The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch
- Falling to Earth by Kate Southwood
- The Resurrectionist: The Lost Work of Dr. Spencer Black by E.B. Hudspeth
- The Weeping Woman by Marcantonio, Patricia Santos
- Masters of Mystery: The Strange Friendship of Arthur Conan Doyle and Harry Houdini by Christopher Sandford
- The Ruining by Anna Collomore
- Elephants in the Distance by Daniel Stashower
- Penn & Teller’s How to Play in Traffic by Penn Jillette & Teller
- Cruel Tricks for Dear Friends by Penn Jillette & Teller
- Fifth Business by Robertson Davies
- Memoirs of Robert-Houdin by Jean Eugene Robert-Houdin
- Goldenland Past Dark by Chandler Klang Smith
It was a heavy month of adding books to my “Want to Read” list with Bout of Books and all.