Cathy at 746 Books hosted 20 Books of Summer from June 1st to Sept 4th
A opted for the shorter version of the challenge: 10 Books of Summer. I’m a slow reader and I’m bad at sticking to lists, but I didn’t do too badly. I finished seven books.
- Best Horror of the Year edited by Ellen Datlow – Reviewed
- The Manitou by Graham Masterton – Reviewed
- The Turn of the Screw by Henry James – Reviewed
- The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield – Reviewed
- The Rise of the Indian Rope Trick by Peter Lamont – Reviewed
- The Victorian Internet by Tom Standage – Reviewed
- Citizen: An American Lyric by Claudia Rankine – Reviewed
The winners? The nonfiction. The Rise of the Indian Rope Trick and The Victorian Internet made for great vacation travel reading!
A couple of notes:
- I traded out Linking Rings by James David Robenalt for The Rise of the Indian Rope Trick pretty early in the summer. Just a matter of taste.
- I had two DNFs: Girl Meet Class by Karin Gillespie and It’s What I Do by Lynsay Addario. Both just didn’t work for me.
- I also got about a third of the way through Freddy’s Book by John Gardner. It’s a book I’ll probably finish, but right now it’s kind of slow and…odd.