TBR Stack Challenges
My main challenge this year is to make a dent in my TBR stack. I own a lot of books. I should probably read some of them.
First, I will take the TBR Triple Dog Dare at James Reads Books. The dare? From January 1st to March 31st, only read books that I already own as of Dec. 31, 2015. I will be making an exception for audio books from the library. I don’t listen to them fast enough for a hold list, so I pick and choose in the moment. This will hopefully keep me from impulse check-outs as well.
Additionally, I’m going to try to #ReadMyOwnDamnBooks as much as possible when working on my other lists/challenges. This is a “you do you” style not-a-challenge proposed by Andi at Estella’s Revenge.
- I’m planning on taking pics and hashtagging when I finish books from my shelves.
- Get rid of books I don’t want/need anymore.
- Not download free books unless I intend to read them right away.
- Keep track of my Incoming Books
Deal Me In Short Story Challenge
Hosted by Jay @ Bibliophilopolis
Come up with a roster of fifty-two stories (you can use any source) and assign each one to a playing card in a standard deck of cards. It can be fun to use different suits for different types of stories, but that is optional. Each “week,” you draw a card at random from your deck and that is the story you will read.
I’m going for maximum number of finished anthologies by the end of 2016, but with less variation in authors. The first three anthologies have been on my TBR shelf for a while:
- The Djinn in the Nightingale’s Eye by A.S. Byatt
- Wild Nights!: New Stories by Joyce Carol Oates
- Asimov’s Mysteries
- I Am Legend (and other stories) by Richard Matheson
- The Lottery and Other Stories by Shirley Jackson
From the last two, I’ve read the “famous” story in the anthology, but no others. I filled in with some stories of ghosts and horror, which are my favorite kind of tales.
My On-Going Reading Lists
Abbott/Joseffy Project – My ever-growing, never-shrinking list of books on magic, Omaha history, and other related subjects.