What is this? Exactly what it says on the tin! Except, relaxed. Read as much as you can or want. I’m shooting for 500 pages, which would break my personal record.
Kindle still in hand, I headed to bed at around 2am. I read a few more pages of Sidney Chambers and the Shadow of Death before falling asleep. I regret nothing! I’m up today at 7:30, ready to tackle the day.
Pages read: 587! Blasted my former PR by a hundred pages. Aside from two naps and a walk, I read for 21 hours.
Finished a novel and a novella that were already in progress, two short stories, and a comics collection. I have so many reviews to write…
And I know I’m not hugely social, but I do enjoy breaks to “heart” tweets and leave a drive-by comment here and there. For me, it’s a lot more about knowing that other people are participating than actually interacting with them. If that makes any sense.
In all, after a rocky start, I had a great readathon!
- “The Djinn in the Nightingale’s Eye” by A. S. Byatt – Starting on page 168/272- FINISHED!
- Gerald’s Game by Stephen King – Starting on page 126/445 – FINISHED!
- “The Billiard Ball” by Isaac Asimov – For Deal Me In
- Sidney Chambers and the Shadow of Death by James Runcie
- Lumberjanes, Vol. 1 by Noelle Stevenson, Grace Ellis, Brooke A. Allen (Illustrator), Maarta Laiho – FINISHED!
- Engraved on the Eye by Saladin Ahmed – Already one story in.
What I Read: Lumberjanes was as good as I hoped.
Total Pages During Readathon: 582!
Notes: I won a prize during Hour 20! Cool Beans! (And didn’t realize it until Hour 21, because, well, it’s 1am.) I’m actually feeling pretty okay, but I really should get some sleep. I think I’ll read in bed and whatever happens will happen.
What I Read: “The Djinn in the Nightingale’s Eye” which was surprisingly funny.
Total Pages During Readathon: 480, close to my goal!
Notes: Gotta say, I’m dragging. I’m also questioning the possibility of staying up when I reeeally need to get some work done tomorrow. I’m going to read Lumberjanes, Vol. 1 and then see how I feel.
What I Read: A couple of short stories that I’d recently downloaded from Amazon:
- “Adaptive” by Matthew P. Buscemi
- “The Woman in Brown” by Tony Richards
Total Pages During Readathon: 376
Notes: Not a lot of reading done since dinner. Talked with Eric a while and then we went out for a much-needed walk.
What I Read: Just finished Gerald’s Game. Haven’t decided exactly what’s next. Might read a story I downloaded the other day.
Total Pages During Readathon: 352
Notes: My afternoon snack was a piece of chocolate bar and a Seagram’s Grape Fizz. Yes, while two of my other favorite alcoholic drinks are vodka and Guinness, I have a soft spot for fruit wine-/beer-coolers. Eric went out for Raising Cane’s. I kept aside a chicken finger and half my coleslaw for later.
Challenges: Mid-Event Survey
- What are you reading right now? Between books! Probably “The Woman in Brown” by Tony Richards next and then “The Djinn in the Nightingale’s Eye.”
- How many books have you read so far? I’ve only finished the one and only the last 320 pages. I’m a slow reader.
- What book are you most looking forward to for the second half of the Read-a-thon? I still have Lumberjanes in the queue.
- Have you had many interruptions? How did you deal with those? Aside from necessary naps, not many interruptions.
- What surprises you most about the Read-a-thon, so far? I am more awake than I thought I’d be.
What I Read: Still working on Gerald’s Game. I’m a slow reader.
Total Pages During Readathon: 198
Notes: Had another nap since last updates, and an egg sandwich for lunch. Also visited a few blogs. Happy Readathon, Everyone!
What I Read: Gerald’s Game
Total Pages During Readathon: 134
Notes: Remembered I had a tangelo in the fridge!
What I Read: Gerald’s Game
Total Pages During Readathon: 60
Notes: Went back to sleep for an hour or so. It was good. Had a second piece of pizza to calm my grumbling tummy.
Challenges: Road Trip Challenge
So, Sidney Chambers and I go on a Taco Road Trip…
Postcard: “The Vicar and I are having a fab time. Virgin margaritas all around!”
What’s on the tape deck:
What I Read: Despite all my in-progress books I started with Sidney Chambers and the Shadow of Death.
Total Pages During Readathon: 32
Notes: The moon is still up, but the roosters are crowing. Had a mug of coffee and a piece of leftover pizza.
Notes: As is usual for readathon day, I am awake early after getting very little sleep. The official start time isn’t for another 50 minutes. I hate the 5am start time. I guess if life gives you lemons, you might as well make Opening Meme lemonade.
Challenges: Opening Meme
- What fine part of the world are you reading from today? Tempe, AZ. Thankfully, it’s going to be cooler today.
- Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to? I am looking forward to that yet-unknown book that I will inevitably pick-up/check-out when nothing else seems good. (I’m already thinking I should grab an audio book from the library.) And Lumberjanes. I’m looking forward to Lumberjanes.
- Which snack are you most looking forward to? Sadly, I have no firm snacking plan. I always look forward to leftover pizza, though.
- Tell us a little something about yourself! Currently, I’m on hiatus from writing to take some online classes and work on a nonfiction project involving an early 20th century magician. It’s my version of a mid-life crisis. 😉
- If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to? I’m not going to worry about making it the entire 24 hours. I’m so bad at sleep that I’m going to do it when I need to. (But I really would like to break my record of 485 pages.