The Bout of Books read-a-thon is organized by Amanda Shofner and Kelly Rubidoux Apple. It is a week long read-a-thon that begins 12:01am Monday, August 20th and runs through Sunday, August 26th in whatever time zone you are in. Bout of Books is low-pressure. There are challenges, giveaways, and a grand prize, but all of these are completely optional. For all Bout of Books 23 information and updates, be sure to visit the Bout of Books blog. – From the Bout of Books team
I know that here in Tempe summer doesn’t really end until, well, at least the equinox, but September is sort of a watershed. School has started, candy corn is on the shelves, and fall reading has begun. BUT THAT’S STILL TWO WEEKS AWAY!!! Hopefully, Bout of Books will distract me for one of those weeks.
- The Perfect Storm: A True Story of Men Against the Sea by Sebastian Junger – Starting at about 50%
- …Memoirs and Confessions of a Stage Magician by Donald Brandon & Joyce Brandon
- The White Castle by Orhan Pamuk, Victoria Rowe Holbrook (Translator)
These are the three books I’d like to finish by the end of August. I’m shooting to finish the in-progress and get a few chapters into the others. I also have a couple short stories on the slate: “Initial Profit” by Bruce Davis and “The Adventure of Wisteria Lodge” by Arthur Conan Doyle.
- Books Read From: “The Adventure of Wisteria Lodge” (~33 pages), “Initial Profit” (~12 pages), …Memoirs and Confessions of a Stage Magician, pg. 102-120, The White Castle, pg. 42-47, The Last Jedi, to 57% (~55 pages)
- Number of Pages Today: 125
- Number of Pages Total: 554 – Stretch goal achieved!
- Notes: Ended DNFing The White Castle. That’s how it’s going this year.
- Challenges: Stretch Goal – I got two large short stories and 20 pages on each of my primary books. I’d like to get to 550 pages read.
- Books Read From: …Memoirs and Confessions of a Stage Magician, pg. 70-101, The White Castle, pg. 8-41, The Last Jedi, to 39% (~118 pages)
- Number of Pages Today: 184
- Number of Pages Total: 429
- Notes: I was awake in time for the BoB twitter chat! Tried to catch up on the reading I meant to get done this weekend. Only was interrupted by Star Wars…
- Challenges: TBR Additons – I’ve been really good (?) this readathon and not expanded my TBR.
- Books Read From: Er, um… So. I read some fanfic. I do that sometimes.
- Number of Pages Today: *shrug* I read about half of a 90K fic.
- Number of Pages Total: We’ll stick with 245.
- Notes: I’ve been a bit brain-dead this week. Hope the weekend is better.
- Challenges: Bookish Playlist
This playlist is for World of Trouble by Ben H. Winters, which I read and enjoyed earlier this year.
- “Work for Love” by Ministry – Hank Palace is all about doing his job.
- “Henry Lee” by Crooked Still – I felt like pretty much any murder ballad would be appropriate.
- “People are Strange” by The Doors – Hank meets and travels with some pretty strange people.
- “Tea in the Sahara” by The Police – The dreamy quality of this song seems to fit Hank and Nico.
- “Seven” by David Bowie – “I got seven days to live my life / Or seven ways to die” seems appropriate, plus this is a great traveling song.
- “Superman” by R. E. M. – I’m cheating a little here because it’s the song the author said Hank might choose. I agree.
- Books Read From: …Memoirs and Confessions of a Stage Magician, pg. 33-70, Coilhunter, pg. 9-13
- Number of Pages Today: 43
- Number of Pages Total: 245
- Notes: The Secret Science of Magic wasn’t doing it for me. Switched to Coilhunter. Undecided about it.
- Books Read From: The Perfect Storm, pg. 166-234 – Finished!, The Secret Science of Magic, 15%-18% (~12 pages)
- Number of Pages Today: 81
- Number of Pages Total: 202
- Notes: Long day that I topped off with finishing The Perfect Storm.
- Challenges: I never did decide on a favorite villain…
- Books Read From: The Perfect Storm, pg. 136-165, …Memoirs and Confessions of a Stage Magician, pg. 23-32
- Number of Pages Today: 40
- Number of Pages Total: 121
- Notes: It was the first day of fall league registration for my local ultimate frisbee club and I’m admin. Plus, I decided to install Google analytics on my web page. It took longer than expected.
- Challenges: #bookplotemoji
- Books Read From: The Perfect Storm, pg. 117-135 , …Memoirs and Confessions of a Stage Magician, 1-22, The Secret Science of Magic, 14% (~40 pgs)
- Number of Pages Today: 81
- Number of Pages Total: 81
- Notes: On track! So on track in fact that I started an auxiliary book: The Secret Science of Magic by Melissa Keil
- Challenges: #insixwords