. . . Sunday, 02:30
Nope, I didn’t make it any longer than usual! I was toast by 2:30.
- How would you assess your reading overall? It went well! I still haven’t gotten to The Ceremonies, but that was a stretch goal.
- Did you have a strategy, and if so, did you stick to it? Stuck to it pretty well. Maybe, I need a new strategy, maybe I’m just fine reading, like, 18 hours.
- What was your favorite snack? Totino’s Party Pizza was so good!
- Did you add any new books to your TBR/wishlist after seeing what everyone else is reading? I did not. I’m trying to be very good about not adding to my TBR (she says the week before Nonfic November).
- What was your favorite book or experience from this readathon? I love Lavie Tidhar’s Judge Dee stories. They’re fun creepy mysteries, perfect for the season!
Saturday, 21:00–Sunday, 01:00
Worked well earlier so I read another Clive Barker story, followed by the 3rd (and sadly last (for now?)) Judge Dee tale. My hands haven’t been super happy with holding books so in a complete change of plan (shocking, I know!) I’m listening to A Wizard’s Guide to Defensive Baking by T. Kingfisher and do some light EQ2 gaming.
(I was a little late with the last update and early with this one . . .) Finished “Floating Water,” “The Skins of the Fathers” by Clive Barker (From Books of Blood), and “Judge Dee and the Three Deaths of Count Werdenfels” by Lavie Tidhar. No snacks in this period, but a diet Mountain Dew toward the beginning and a shot of cinnamon whiskey in the recent past. Alcohol is a gambit during Readathon. I hope it will loosen me up, but it could just put me to sleep.
Some Stuff I’ll Probably Read
- ✅ Finish The Sundial by Shirley Jackson
- ✅ Finish Danse Macabre by Stephen King
- ✅ Deal Me In Story – “Red Sky At Morning” by Alanna Smith
- ✅ “Judge Dee and the Three Deaths of Count Werdenfels” by Lavie Tidhar
- ✅ “Judge Dee and the Poisoner of Montmartre” by Lavie Tidhar
- ✅ “Floating Water” by Koji Suzuki
- Stories from Books of Blood by Clive Barker
- Start Ceremonies by T.E.D. Klein
Finished Danse Macabre by Stephen King and then read my Deal Me In story for the week: “Red Sky At Morning” by Alanna Smith. I also ended up watching a game of ultimate frisbee while reading and eating dinner (a Party Pizza, hash-browns, and a Sleepy Dog Brewery peanut-butter stout). Started “Floating Water” by Koji Suzuki before going out and throwing a disc myself with my husband.
I got back up at about 9:15. I’ve read 69 pages of Danse Macabre and am pretty close to finishing it. Food & drink: left over piece of pizza, a pear, second cup of coffee, a diet Dr. Pepper Cream Soda, and lots of water. Also took out the recycling.
Finished the last three chapters of The Sundial by Shirley Jackson (47 pages). Had donuts and a cup of coffee. And then I went back to bed!
Opening Event Survey
I “slept” terribly, but here I am at 04:54! I foresee a nap in my future.
- What fine part of the world are you reading from today? Tempe, AZ
- Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to? Probably the Judge Dee stories I’ve bookmarked.
- Which snack are you most looking forward to? A Totino’s Party Pizza for “lunch.”
- Tell us a little something about yourself! I really enjoy playing ultimate frisbee and right now I’m the oldest woman playing in our local rec league.
- If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? Well, I wanted to go to bed early, but I’m a terrible sleeper!
Dewey’s 24-Hour Readathon starts at 5am on Saturday for me. Will I be up that early? Probably not. But we’ll see. I have nothing going on this Saturday, not even a football to watch/listen to, so it’s pretty much perfect.