Cathy at 746 Books is hosting her annual 20 Books of Summer reading challenge. The “rules” are, between June 1st and September 1st (or so), read and blog about twenty books. Or ten books, or fifteen. Stick to your list, or swap books out. It’s a *very* flexible challenge.
I don’t think I’ve ever attempted the full 20 book challenge. I’ve had mixed results reading 10 and 15 books, so there is no reason I should be optimistic, but oddly, I am. I’ve picked 20 books, mostly from my backlog stacks.
- I See by My Outfit by Peter S. Beagle
- To Sir, With Love by E. R. Braithwaite
- Elric of Melnibone by Michael Moorcock
- The Cormorant by Stephen Gregory
- The Circus of Dr. Lao by Charles Finney
- Confessions of an English Opium-Eater by Thomas de Quincey
- Winter in Majorca by George Sand
- The Book of the Omaha edited by Paul A. Olson
- Nothing Like the Sun by Anthony Burgess
- A Dead Man in Deptford by Anthony Burgess
- Infinity Dreams by Glen Hirshberg
- King Solomon’s Mines by H. Rider Haggard
- On Boxing by Joyce Carol Oates
- Nightmare Fuel by Nina Nesseth – an ARC and the only non-“Beat the Backlog” book on this list.
- On Stranger Tides by Tim Powers – READ!
- ADDED 6/3/22 – Hiding the Elephant by Jim Steinmeyer (reread) – READ!
- ADDED 6/3/22 – Magic in Theory by Peter Lamont & Richard Wiseman (reread) – READ!
- ADDED 6/3/22 – Psychic Blues by Mark Edward (library) – READ!
- ADDED 6/20/22 – Persuasion by Jane Austen (library) – READ!
- The Italian Secretary by Caleb Carr
REMOVED 6/3/22 – My initial list didn’t make it a week! I decided I wanted to reread/read a few magic books due to the story I’m currently working on.
- The Beautiful Cigar Girl by Daniel Stashower
- Sherlock Holmes: The Hidden Years edited by Michael Kurland
- Teller of Tales by Daniel Stashower
- Mockingbird by Watler Tevis
REMOVED 6/20/22 – How Magicians Think by Joshua Jay (library) (Added 6/3/22)
REMOVED 7/4/22 – Still Just a Geek by Wil Wheaton (library) – Had to go back library!
REMOVED 7/7/22 – The Devil and the Deep edited by Ellen Datlow (library) (Added 6/3/22)
If I read a mere 60
55 pages a day (plus Daily Dracula and Deal Me In), I should be able to read the whole list!