Clear My “Research” Shelf
17 22 books, non-fiction and fiction, that are somewhat related to the Abbott/Joseffy project. I should, you know, read them. (This doesn’t include my ebooks…)
- Dunningers Complete Encyclopedia Of Magic by Joseph Dunninger
- Houdini on Magic by Harry Houdini
- The Life and Many Deaths of Harry Houdini by Ruth Brandon
- The Magician and the Cardsharp: The Search for America’s Greatest Sleight-of-Hand Artist by Karl Johnson
- World’s Best Card Tricks by Bob Longe
- The Expert at the Card Table: The Classic Treatise on Card Manipulation by S.W. Erdnase
- Linking Rings: William W. Durbin and the Magic and Mystery of America by James David Robenalt
- Facts, Frauds, & Phantasms: A Survey of the Spiritualist Movement by Georgess McHargue
The Magician’s Study: A Guided Tour of the Life, Times, and Memorabilia of Robert “The Great” Rouncival by Tobias SeamonDNF
- David Copperfield’s Beyond Imagination ed. by David Copperfield
- David Copperfield’s Tales of the Impossible ed. by David Copperfield
- The Spirit Cabinet by Paul Quarrington
- The Magician by Sol Stein
- The Final Confession of Mabel Stark by Robert Hough
- Eyeing the Flash: The Making of a Carnival Con Artist by Peter Fenton
- River City Empire: Tom Dennison’s Omaha by Orville D. Menard
- A Dirty, Wicked Town: Tales of 19th Century Omaha by David L. Bristow
- 4/1/14 – Magic and Mystery by Joseph Dunninger
- 4/1/14 – The Great Illusionists by Edwin A Dawses
- 4/1/14 – Inamorata by Jospeh Gangemi
- May 2014 – How to Play in Traffic by Penn & Teller
May 2014 – Cruel Tricks for Dear Friends by Penn & Teller
As a rule this year we decided for every ARC or review book we read, we need to read a book off of our TBR piles too.
TBR Pile: 24
Concerning Acquisitions Read two books I already own before acquiring a new book, “acquiring” defined to include ARC requests and check-outs from libraries. Ideally, I’d like to go 2:1 by book format: Read two physical books before buying any new physical books; read two already acquired electronic books before acquiring new ebooks. Ebooks Acquired: 8
The Candle Man by Alex Scarrow Shirley by Susan Scarf Merrell Eerie America by Eric R. Vernor and Kevin Eads The Quick by Lauren Owen The Grey Woman and Others by Elizabeth Gaskell The Art of Magic by T. Nelson Downs Magic in Mind, ed. by Joshua Jay Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling Ebooks Read: 6 / 16 Mayhem by Sarah Pinborough As the Silent Stars Go By by Dan Abnett Houdini by Charlotte L.R. Kane The Ghost of the Mary Celeste by Valerie Martin Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins Print Books Acquired: 0
Print Books Read: 0
Read an E-Book Week was the death of this one…
To help set a good habit and/or cultivate a little leeway , I’m going to be joining the TBR Triple Dog Dare: Hosted by Ready When You Are, C.B.
Read only books in your TBR pile or on your library reserve list as of January 1, 2014 for the entire months of January, February and March. The TBR Triple Dog Dare will end on April 1, 2014. I’ll only be reading books that I acquired before January 1, 2014.
Alas, I picked up a ARC due during the end of February (thought it was end of March) which I will be reading. And today, 2/28/14, I downloaded a library book. I just totally give up.