Check out the goals of other ROW80 writers and give them a little encouragement!
What is ROW80?
A Round of Words in 80 Days is the writing challenge that knows you have a life. Check out all the details at the ROW80 site.
Goals for Round 4
As of late, I’m pretty bad at setting measurable goals. Last round, I decided to set my goals on a weekly basis, keeping in mind what I’d like to have done at the end of the round. That worked pretty well. I’ve also rediscovered that I kind of like the stress that comes from procrastinating. Weekly goals allow for that, somewhat. I’m also going to stick with checking-in mostly on Sundays. Monday is the beginning of my work week. I just don’t have much to say by Wednesday.
Currently, I’m working on a series of short historical mysteries (20K word count range), series titled “One Ahead.” The main character is David Abbott, a magician who really did live in Omaha, NE at the beginning of the 20th century. Aside from being an accomplished magician, he was a debunker of fraudulent mediumistic practices.
My Big Writing Goals for Round 4:
- Publish One Ahead #1 – It’s currently in Eric’s editing queue.
- Finish a good draft of One Ahead #2 – I’m already at the 10K mark. I’d like to have a first draft done by the end of the month.
- I have no plan to participate in NaNoWriMo. Unless it’s a super crazy plan like writing a magic-related flash fiction piece a day… Or, I might make a concerted effort in November to finish the collection of David Abbott’s Open Court articles that I was putting together. But no formal NaNo.
- Start One Ahead #3
Goals for this week: [Edit 10/05, 10:56]
- 5K on One Ahead #2. That will put the novella at 15K and nearing the end of the first draft. I’m probably going to need to confer with Eric this week or at the beginning of the next week.
- Update reference document. And update the Abbott Family document.
The Publishing End
Eric and I have recently moved our titles primarily to KDP Select. I have a couple of promos scheduled for the future, and there are always peripheral social media things that need doing.
My Big Publishing Goal for Round 4:
- Keep engaged, keep things going. I’m an introvert and this promo stuff is not my jam. It takes effort.
Goal for this week: Do the usual check-ins. Start setting up the spiritualism/seance fiction list over on Riffle (this being a *very* peripheral activity).
In the past, I haven’t set goals too far afield from writing, but I need to work on my activity level. I like to eat and I’d like to not have to buy new jeans in the near future.
Totally Measurable Exercise Goal for Round 4:
- Get some sort of cardio (30+ mins) three times a week.
Ideally, at least two of those will be my game of choice: ultimate frisbee. Now that the weather is back to reasonable, I’ll probably do some running. I’ll go work out at the community center if my knees/back aren’t feeling very bouncy.
That’s it. No reading goals. No blogging goals. In general, the other thing I worked on last round was trying to do…less. While I want to sign up for ALL THE FUN THINGS, I don’t have the energy. And as much as I pretend that I have obligations to read or blog or flit around the internet, the only thing that really matters is getting the writing done. So maybe, I do need one really measurable writing goal:
- Write First. Five days out of seven, I pledge to sit down and write for at least an hour before noon.