…This challenge is to encourage readers to explore a genre that has a lot to offer but that is often overlooked.
- Lasso and Chaps: Read 2 westerns
- Bandana and Vest: Read 4 westerns
- Saddle and Horse: Read 6 westerns
- Boots and Spurs: Read 8 westerns
- Six-guns and Stetson: Read 10 or more westerns
For the purposes of this challenge, a western is defined as “a book set in the American Old West frontier and typically set from the late eighteenth to the late nineteenth century.” … Nonfiction books are fine, too, as long they make up no more than half of the western books you read for your level.
I’m going to shoot for the midrange Saddle and Horse level. My beginning list of possibilities:
- On the Wrong Track by Steve Hockensmith – Western mystery. I own it! READ!
- Harrigan by Max Brand – I own it!
- Death Comes for the Archbishop by Willa Cather
World, Chase Me Down by Andrew Hilleman – DNF
- Lizzie, The Letters of Elizabeth Chester Fisk – Nonfiction. I own it!
- Dodge City: Wyatt Earp, Bat Masterson, and the Wickedest Town in the American West by Tom Clavin- Nonfiction
I wouldn’t count out some wild and wahoo nonlisted library action.